In 2017 I created the first-ever Business of Marijuana course at an AACSB-accredited business school at the Daniels College of Business, University of Denver. The course was offered four times over three years and generated great interest and involvement from DU students, faculty, staff, alumni, and the Colorado community. In the summer of 2019 I left DU to join the McIntire School of Commerce, University of Virginia and I am excited about the future opportunities that this move will provide. A variety of other academic institutions are also developing educational programs. Note: In the list below I focus on programs at traditional universities and colleges, rather than for-profit cannabis-specific programs. Last Updated: Sept 15, 2019.
Other Cannabis Courses at the University of Denver
- Representing the Marijuana Client (L4416) – Offered regularly by Sam Kamin, Vicente Sederberg Professor of Marijuana Law and Policy at DU’s Sturm College of Law. The course has been covered in the The Cannabist (Nov 2014), Denver Post (Jan 2015), and Lawweek Colorado (Jan 2015), and DU Clarion (Feb 2015). Kamin was also interviewed by the DU Clarion in Jan 2016.
- Cannabis Journalism (MFJS 3900/4012) – Offered during interterm by Andrew Matranga. Cannabist article on course.
Specific Educational Programs and Organizations at Other Institutions
- The University of the Sciences – Philadelphia university creates new MBA program focused on the business of cannabis (TheGrowthOp, August 20, 2019), USciences creates first MBA program centered on cannabis industry (PhillyVoice, August 19, 2019)
- New Jersey University Makes A Major Marijuana Play By Letting Students Minor In Cannabis Studies (Civilized, August 31, 2018)
- Temple University, Marijuana in the News Course, Spring 2017
- Lewis & Clark University Cannabis Law & Policy course
- Clover Leaf University – For-profit institution founded in Denver but offering courses in various locations
- Northern Michigan University – Medicinal Plant Chemistry degree program
- Students can now major in ‘medical plant chemistry’ — or marijuana — at a Midwestern university (Business Insider, Sept 25, 2017)
- Michigan school offering a degree in marijuana — but it’s not for stoners or slackers (Chicago Tribune, Oct 23, 2017)
- Niagara College (Canada) College cannabis program ramping up (Welland Times, Mar 23, 2018)
- Cannabis PhD takes higher education to a new level (Toronto Star, Sept 8, 2018)
- Stanford Cannabis Business Club (Student Organization)
Articles Summarizing Educational Programs at Various Institutions
- The Weed Wave Hitting B-Schools (Poets & Quants, May 18, 2018, features my Daniels course)
- Want a job in the budding Canadian marijuana industry? These schools have courses for you (Toronto Star, Feb 4, 2018)