This page provides an overview of the unique Business of Marijuana course that I teach at the Daniels College of Business, University of Denver. Last updated: January 30, 2018.
- The course was offered for the first time in Spring 2017 and again in Spring 2018. It is being taught in both Winter 2019 and Spring 2019 quarters.
- Currently, the course is open to full-time undergraduate and graduate students at the Daniels College of Business, University of Denver but I am hoping to offer a 3 or 4-day condensed version open to the general public during June 2019. Please contact me if you are interested in this course offering.
- The course meets for 20 2-hour sessions over 10 weeks and examines various business aspects of the industry including management, accounting, finance, marketing, ethics, and others. It combines relevant analysis of the industry with a wide range of guest speakers who are currently involved and affected by Colorado’s marijuana industry. Students analyze a company in the cannabis industry and work in teams to develop a business proposal/pitch for a startup cannabis business that is presented in front of a panel of senior industry professionals. This winter’s final presentations will take place from 10am-noon on Tuesday, March 12th on the DU campus. Please contact me if you would like to attend!
- Spring 2017 guest speakers included Michael Elliott (former ED Marijuana Industry Group), Sam Kamin (DU Law Professor), Wanda James (SimplyPure), Nick Richards, Kayvan Khalatbari (Denver Relief), Tripp Keber (Dixie Brands), Lauren Ginsberg (Native Roots), Mason Tvert, Tommy Joyce (Blackrock Originals), Seth Yakatan and a number of others.
- Spring 2018 guest speakers included Sam Kamin (DU Law Professor), Ryan Smith (COO, Cure Holdings), Wanda James (SimplyPure), Ryan Hunter (COO Willie’s Reserve), Tripp Keber (Dixie Brands), Max Murphy (Cultivated Synergy), Cindi Sovine (Utopia Wellness), and a number of others.
- Winter 2019 guest speakers included Sam Kamin (DU Law Professor), Ryan Smith (COO, Cure Holdings), Amanda Fox (Pioneer Interests), Ryan Hunter (COO Willie’s Reserve), and a number of others. Please contact me if you are interested in participating in the Winter 2019 or Spring 2019 courses.
- A copy of the course syllabus is available upon request.
- The course has received considerable media and industry attention:
- The top three teams from our first-ever Spring 2017 business pitch competition:
- In 2013, I published one of the first, if not the first, business teaching cases on the Marijuana industry, Medical Marijuana Industry Group: Outdoor Advertising in Denver. The case is based on a proposal from Denver City Council to restrict outdoor advertising of marijuana in the City and County of Denver and the subsequent responses of affected stakeholder groups, in particular the Medical Marijuana Industry Group led by executive director Michael Elliot. The teaching note/instructor’s manual for the case is available upon request.